I don't have a strong opinion in either direction here.

I would like to point out that every database we support is a maintenance
burden, however. It's an exaggeration that Oracle alone causes problems but
other backends don't. For example when I was working on collations, I ran
into issues with SQLite's lack of good ways to inspect the database. I ran
into problems with MySQL's lacking documentation on collations and its
seeming semi-support for it. I ran into problems with Postgres as you need
to create some of its more powerful collations in SQL first. I also ran
into issues with Oracle, but they were actually easier to overcome than
some of the others.

I also gave up on an attempt at an EnumField for models because Postgres
handles them in a totally different way from other databases and it ended
up raising so many questions that I just gave up.

I would say, however, that Oracle usually has perhaps more than its share
of problems. And of course Oracle's lack of financial support gives impetus
to care less about it, as we seemingly do for MS SQL server, which probably
sees more use overall than Oracle. Bur Oracle is already established in the
codebase.

It also shouldn't be forgotten that while 2% as a relative number is quite
small, the absolute number of people it will affect is quite large, and I
certainly wouldn't call it "irrelevant".

I wouldn't be against moving it to jazzband, say, but without people
stepping up to maintain it (and there is an impetus for this when it's in
Django's codebase), it may just end up abandoned.

Tom

On Thu, 3 Aug 2023 at 13:27, Jörg Breitbart <j.breitb...@netzkolchose.de>
wrote:

> +1 from my side for removing oracle support from django itself.
>
> If very low usage + high maintenance burden does not qualify for feature
> removal, idk what does - maybe not being supportive at all. Oh wait...
>
> In the end such low usage numbers are prolly better served by a 3rd
> party package.
>
> Regards,
> Jerch

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/0380eceb-c0bc-1a81-411b-b8e0e8588c83%40netzkolchose.de
> .

https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/django-developers/CAHoz%3DMYDBpgD_r87HaAr9sG%2BY7KpOLNVPJ4sZAqDP9T-vc_MyA%40mail.gmail.com.
  • Propo... Paolo Melchiorre
    • ... Christopher Jones
    • ... Jörg Breitbart
      • ... Tom Carrick
        • ... Mariusz Felisiak
          • ... Paolo Melchiorre
            • ... Carlton Gibson
              • ... 'Lily Foote' via Django developers (Contributions to Django itself)
              • ... David Sanders
    • ... Carsten Fuchs