Hi, finally I'm able to provide a precise description of what I'd like
to realize with Django.
Considering that I'm moving my first steps in the relational world and
considering the complexity of the project, I would be glad to receive
some help to figure how to structure the database.

I know that this kind of request can be considered semi-OT. If you
think so, please, provide a better place to ask if you can (forum,
mailing list, whatever).

I need to realize a tool to create configurations, collection of
components. When customers ask for some configuration I can generate it
using the awesome Django and keep them stored in a database for future
consultations/statistics. Once they are in, I can do a lot of
delightful things, like generate pdf for printing and more (but it's
too early for these dreams ;-)

Not yet said but implicit, each configuration is associated to a
particular customer.
Components are organized in categories, and actually it doesn't matter
to handle hierarchical categories. It is however important that
components are kept in separated categories mostly for (future)
presentation purposes: in this way I can choose components from many
specific lists instead than from a long list containing the whole mixed
components.

Some further details:
* in a configuration multiple components belonging to the same
categories may appear
* all the components have a set of common attributes: a name, a
description and a price. Other components extend this behaviour adding
some specific properties (example, hard disks have a size, monitor have
a resolution and a max frequency so on)
* it is required that each configuration is *stored*, I mean: when I
change the price of some product already present in some configuration,
I don't want that the price inside the configuration is changed.

I'd really really appreciate at least some comments :-) (but please,
possibly not about my mental disorders!)

Thanks for reading,
paolo