On Sep 12, 2005, at 9:07 PM, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
What if we, the community, created our own site.  djangoapps.com or
something.  It would allow people to upload there own django apps.
People could rate and comment on the apps posted there.  And it would
of course be written using django.

Yes.

A community-run app repository is something I've wanted from the view beginning. I've held off doing anything about it until people get some time to write some apps, but it's getting to the point where said apps have been written, so perhaps it's time to start thinking about this.

There's a few questions we'll need to address and issues we'll need to address first, however:

- First, we'd need to decide on criteria for submissions into the app repository. I think we ought to work to avoid overlap and go for a "standard library" approach as opposed to something like CPAN. There will probably need to be one or more arbiters who have the final say on submissions... but see the next point.

- None of us here at the Journal-World should have any control (beyond what any community member has) over accepting or rejecting submissions. We sell a commercial CMS built on top of Django, and we need to avoid even the possibility of our commercial interests affecting a repository. I frankly can't picture anyone here trying to influence the availability of Django apps because they compete with Ellington (our commercial package), but I don't want anyone to even suggest such a conflict. I'd be happy to host the repository on our servers -- our bandwidth and storage is essentially free -- but someone(s) from the community is going to need to be in change.

- We need to fix on a good structure for app packages. As a few people have mentioned, the one that django-admin startapp creates may or may not be good in the long term. Personally, I think it would be cool to load apps from ZIP files (like JARs) so that an app is a single package... If the app repository is structured well enough, we could conceivably roll installing of apps from the repository into django-admin -- "django-admin download gallery"?

This is a great idea; let's run with it.

Jacob