Well the docs say that you COULD set it in order to avoid tedious
typing.  But since I was just doing a test I wouldn't bother to do
that.

The issue seems to be that django-admin isn't recognizing a settings
passed in as :  --setting=myproject.settings

Now I'm doing this again with a new project.  I have PYTHON_PATH, PATH,
and DJANGO_SETTINGS_MODULE all set.  django-admin is still not finding
the correct settings file.

Shouldn't a settings.py file be obligatory ?  I think it should fail if
not found and complain of that, rather than using a default and failing
to be able to work with those defaults (which is a more mysterious
disconnected error message).

thanks