Tom Tobin wrote:

On 11/29/05, Medium <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
Robert Wittams wrote:

Medium wrote:

4. Can we change the template {{ variable }} to something like
${variable} I don't mind the {% %} but  {%starttag%}{{var}}{%endtag%}......
You can assume this is not going to change, it would break too much for
very little benefit. I guess you could monkey patch
django.core.template.VARIABLE_TAG_START and
django.core.template.VARIABLE_TAG_END if you wanted to. It would be kind
of silly though.

You're right about the little benefit, but this syntax ${var} or $var is
very widely used in many template solutions across all languages and
provides a level of familiarity to most template users. Easier migration
and therefore wider adoption may prove a benefit which isn't as obvious now.

I'm sorry, but I can't help but think that a user who is skilled
enough to be comfortable with a alternate but not-wildly-different
syntax, yet who would face major difficulties adjusting to Django's
syntax, has other problems than the syntax at hand.  :-)  FWIW, I
actually find Django's template syntax easier to read and use than
dollar-sign based syntax (which in turn feels alien and Perl-ish to
me).

I don't think it has anything to do with skill or their ability to pick it up and get use to it over time. You can say that about any syntax (good or bad). My main point i guess was that if someone saw django template at a glance (which is usually how I evaluate things initially) the more familiar it seems the more chance of me trying it out because I don't have to reconfigure my brain too much. You name it and most popular templating solutions use this syntax, which means more designers as well are also familiar with ${} syntax.

Personally, I don't find this a major issue, just a thorn in the side, but I wanted to ask the question on the very far chance that django can be made even more popular because I like it alot.

Cheers,

Huy