On Tuesday 06 December 2005 12:01 pm, tonemcd wrote:
> The primary keys in the
> tables vary, but are mostly varchar.
[...]
> It seems though that Django uses ints for primary keys quite
> extensively, and I guess that will cause some problems with (say)
> creating new entries using the admin system.
>
> Does anyone have any pointers/hints/howtos etc on how to do this with a
> minimum of hassle?

Hi Tone,

Nice to see a familiar "face" from the good old Zope days.  Welcome to the
wonder world of Django.

I've not used Django with non-integer-pk's yet, but I suspect what your after
is the "primary_key" field option when defining your Django model.  Have a
look here:
<http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/model_api/>

and search for "primary_key"

Also, there's an "Integrating with a legacy database" section of the docs
here:
<http://www.djangoproject.com/documentation/legacy_databases/>

Good luck,

Eric.