from my understanding there is only way to get at it in the presave,
and that is to either set the field in middleware, or in the custom
manipulator before the object gets 'saved'

I blogged about it here
http://feh.holsman.net/articles/2005/12/07/some-basic-audit-functionality
and provided some code as well ;-)

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED] -- blog: http://feh.holsman.net/ -- PH: ++61-3-9877-0909

If everything seems under control, you're not going fast enough. -
Mario Andretti