'Proxying' with Apache basically means that you tell Apache to take
all requests of a certain type, and forward them somewhere else. In
this case, I assume each user has a separate instance of Apache which
they're allowed to configure and which listens on a port other than
80; then you just proxy requests on port 80 for a user's domain to the
port their Apache is listening on, and their Apache processes the
request.

That is correct. The account also gets a minimum of two acounts:

1. Main account
2. Web account (what apache runs as)

The web account doesn't have a shell and we use group rights to
allow the main account to write to the document root.

Sincerely,

Joshua D. Drake

I do the same thing with my TextDrive account; I'm currently running
an instance of the poll app from the tutorial using lighttpd+FastCGI,
and I just have Apache proxy requests for that domain to the port
lighttpd is listening on. It's a pretty handy trick.

--
"May the forces of evil become confused on the way to your house."
 -- George Carlin

--
Command Prompt, Inc., Your PostgreSQL solutions company. 503-667-4564
Custom programming, 24x7 support, managed services, and hosting