On Tuesday 10 Jan 2006 9:12 am, Mike wrote:
> Thank you for your elaborate and informative response. I guess I
> fail to properly understand the significance of Primary Keys.
> Isn't it there just to make our records Unique? Then, who cares
> if the other XXX_id's are unique or not! I'd rather impose such
> rules within my application logic anyway.

yikes - the whole idea of having an rdbms is that it maintains
integrity of data. And data without unique primary keys is not
data, it is junk. If you are going to waste time and code
maintaining data integrity in your application logic, you might as
well use flat files to store your data. What you are doing is
shutting down your car engine and getting it pulled by a horse.
Either use the engine or use something more lightweight to ease the
burden on the horse.
--
regards
kg