Hi if your just looking to steal great swathes of the fabulous admin
code the clever people at django wrote then I did find a natty way of
doing that.

In my views.py I created functions that look a bit like this

from django.contrib.admin.views.main import add_stage, change_stage

def do_change_stage(request, app_label, module_name, object_id):
    return change_stage(request, app_label, module_name, object_id)

It may be breaking some cardinal rule of django but it seems to work
you can then mess around with making custom templates by puting them in
templates_dir/admin/app_name/module_name

If people don't jump down my throat crying "You can't do that" and
you're interested I can give you more details

Regards
Charlie