On 1/29/06, Adrian Holovaty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On 1/29/06, Roberto Aguilar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > is there a way to say something like:
> >
> > {% set blurb entry.get_blurb %}
> >
> > and then just use:
> >
> > {{ blurb.get_author.username }}
> > {{ blurb.subject }}
> > {{ blurb.text }}
> >
> > It looks like having to use get_blurb every time is expensive since
> > the object is being retrieved multiple times (not to mention more
> > typing ;).  Is setting variables inside templates against the way of
> > the template?
>
> Hi Berto,
>
> Behind the scenes, get_blurb() only hits the database once. It caches
> the result for subsequent accesses. There's no way to set variables in
> the template language, but if you're wanting to save on typing, I'd
> recommend passing 'blurb' as a variable in your template's context.

I was thinking about that, but it doesn't exactly work out if, for
example, I have a list of journal entries being sent to a template.
It doesn't make sense to me to create a list of blurbs and pass it to
the template rather than just using get_blurb when i need the blurb
info.

Along the same lines, I'm creating a form to edit a journal entry.  I
have found myself passing in journal_form and blurb_form objects to a
template in order to render the input form for a user to edit.  Is
this the right approach or am I missing how to get a foreign key
object's fields in a form?

Thanks for the response!
-berto.