>You do mention that every entry in LDAP must also exist in the
> django users table as well - is that a fundamental requirement?

Yes, it is a fundamental requirement for my "hack". I put "hack" in
quotes because I fully admit that my patch is not a complete plug-in
replacement for Django's user model. I'm only using LDAP for what most
people use it for-- checking passwords.

Since, I'll only have about 6-8 users using my app, I personally don't
have a problem duplicating these accounts in Django's database. I still
want to keep Django's auth tables for linking users to groups and
permissions.

To automatically keep the Django database in sync with LDAP, I'll most
likely create an "add/remove" python script that polls LDAP and syncs
up the user table in Django by adding or removing (or perhaps
disabling) accounts as needed. Perhaps the better approach is to
completly remove the dependency on the Django user table. But making
LDAP a complete replacement would take more work, which I don't need at
this point, so I avoided doing it.

-Jason