As part of a personal side project I'm taking information from an external command (a source control system) and marshalling its information into django model classes.

I hit a small stumbling block and was curious if anyone had any particular experience.

I'm using Windows for my development environment (yeah, I know), and without a TZ setting the external app is returning, in one of its fields, the timezone "Eastern Standard Time", which it is pulling from Windows. Django is setting the TZ setting to the one in my settings.py file "America/Louisville". It appears that the application can't make out how to exactly convert that in a Windows environment and is returning for the time-zone "Ame", which Python is then in turn not interpreting as a valid time-zone.

Is there any way in Django itself to convert this, perhaps? Do I need to just move the uglier ("EST5EDT...") syntax? Is there any "best practice" in this situation that works well cross-platform?

--
--Max Battcher--
http://www.worldmaker.net/