I'm experimenting with 'inspectdb' so I can use Django on an existing
database. I was curious to see what inspectdb would return for the
tutorial tables (Polls, Choices) and was confused by the output:

class PollsChoice(meta.Model):
    id = meta.IntegerField()
    poll_id = meta.IntegerField()
    choice = meta.CharField(maxlength=600)
    votes = meta.IntegerField()
    class META:
        db_table = 'polls_choices'

class PollsPoll(meta.Model):
    id = meta.IntegerField()
    question = meta.CharField(maxlength=600)
    pub_date = meta.DateTimeField()
    class META:
        db_table = 'polls_polls'

Why are the choice and question fields maxlength of 600 when they were
specified as 200 in the model? I also tried on a different table I
created with a varchar(40) field and it came back with maxlength of 120
so it seems to consistently multiply the length by 3 (I'm using MySQL
4.1.18).