On Feb 26, 2006, at 7:38 PM, tttallis wrote:

> Can anyone suggest the best way to implement a model where there are
> many different types of users, all of which have access to different
> fields in the same database item?

Same way as you'd write a model for any other thing. If every record has
all the fields, the most you can do is limit which ones can be
updated by
not letting the user have access to form elements that "connect" to
those
fields in teh database, and not show them to the user when just viewing.

> We are a pair of Django newbies who are trying to port an in-house
> Content Management System across from PHP. The CMS sits behind a web
> site that publishes information about movies. We have a fairly complex
> editorial process involving about 5 different writers/editors. Each
> writer needs to be able to see the other writers' fields, but just be
> able to edit the data in their own.
>
> Our problem is that we can't figure out the best way to restrict user
> access to the particular fields they should be working with.

if elif else usually work best. Django has a very good templating system
which would let you conditionally output different views based on
permissions.

---
Andrew Gwozdziewycz
[EMAIL PROTECTED]