Good question.

I would not expect that you'd be able to just "change" the child object
to be a different child object, though.  It would make more sense to
have a 'delete' method to remove a child from list of child objects and
then to add a new child object separately.  I don't see any delete
method specifically for this.  Maybe deleting the record from the list
of child objects after you retrieve it, then saving the parent object?
I'm obviously guessing here.