I agree Herb, you need transactions as the basis for making this work.
But, as you have stated you need other infrastructure to make the
optimistic locking work. Either of the two approaches you mentioned
make sense (although there are some issues in using timestamps). Again,
Hibernate is a good model for how to do this properly.

Ned makes a good comment that having this functionality will broaden
the scope of applications that Django can address.

I'm going to dive into the magic stream this weekend, start to learn
the model code and try and lend a hand.

-Z