What I use sometimes on Dreamhost is this:

pkill python;pkill fcgi.py

"pkill python" refreshes the process', so I can hit reload on the
browser and see the changed code. While "pkill fcgi.py" make the
"Mysql server has gone away" problems disappear.

Dreamhost hasn't been good to me. I will be switching hosts soon...
can't have such unreliable apps live.

--
Julio Nobrega - http://www.inerciasensorial.com.br