i am still not following this..

here is the output from my show variables..

mysql> SHOW VARIABLES LIKE 'char%';
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| Variable_name            | Value                      |
+--------------------------+----------------------------+
| character_set_client     | latin1                     |
| character_set_connection | latin1                     |
| character_set_database   | latin1                     |
| character_set_results    | latin1                     |
| character_set_server     | latin1                     |
| character_set_system     | utf8                       |
| character_sets_dir       | /usr/share/mysql/charsets/ |
7 rows in set (0.00 sec)

the thing i am afraid of is goofing up any of the other apps that use
this database by doing something like:

   mysql> SET NAMES 'latin1'; -- or whatever encoding you need, SHOW
CHARACTER SET;

what would i need to do in my settings.py to fix this?

sorry i am so dense..

thanks!