We're about to embark on adding a major chunk of new functionality to my
Django app.  My question is, how do I decide whether to make it a new
Django app, or whether to simply add the models and views needed into my
existing app?

What are the rules of thumb that you've used in the past to decide
whether something is a new app or not?

The same users will use both the old and new functionality, and there
will be links between them.  It will all feel like the same web site to
the users.  Some model classes from the old functionality will be used
in the new (and probably vice-versa).

Reasons we have so far for making a new app: since the functionality is
fairly distinct from the old, it makes for a nice modularity indicator
for it to be in a new app.  But are there reasons not to make it a new app?

--Ned.