Here's another way to look at it, given that we are still at 0.91+:
Besides inertia, what are the arguments in favor of the system Django
currently uses? The only person I've seen address this is Jacob, who
correctly noted in the ticket comments that some beginners would find
the separate settings easier to understand.

Imagine if the current situation were reversed -- Django supported DSNs
only, and a ticket were filed to abandon them and change to the
DATABASE_* style. How would that ticket fare?

pb
--
http://e-scribe.com/news/