It may not be exactly related to the problem you're having, but worth checking:

I was having some difficulty checking the right syntax for use when
referencing many-to-many fields recently, and noticed that the syntax
has changed from what is currently documented.  You can find a chart
documenting the old vs. new syntax here:

http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/RemovingTheMagic

Hope that might at least lead you in the right direction for solving
your problem.

-Phil