Is there a way to chain languages in the i18n interface?

We're using a custom Interchange tag right now to do i18n in our
webstore. We support Estonian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Russian, and
English. The language chaining goes something like this:

if locale is estonian:
  print i18n(message, estonian)
  if that is empty:
    print message

if locale is english:
  print i18n(message, english)
  if that is empty:
    print message

if locale is lithuanian:  # same for latvian
  print i18n(message, lithuanian)
  if that is empty:
    print i18n(message, russian)
    if that is empty:
      print i18n(message, english)
      if that is empty:
        print message

For all others, we default to English.

Is there a way to do such complex translation chaining (lithuanian ->
russian -> english -> message) with Django's gettext?

Elver