On 5/16/06, gabor <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Joseph Kocherhans wrote:
> > On 5/16/06, Douglas Campos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >> the multi-auth branch targets some kind of 100% external auth? because
> >> i've seen some approach using ldap+django users
> >
> > I'm not sure what you mean by "100% external" but the backends that
> > get used are controlled by the AUTHENTICATION_BACKENDS settings
> > variable. This is a tuple of python paths, so you can do something
> > like this:
> >
> > AUTHENTICATION_BACKENDS = (
> >     'django.contrib.auth.backends.ModelBackend', # for django users
> >     'myapp.LDAPBackend', # write your own LDAP backend
> > )
>
> i think what he meant are things like the admin-system.
> will it be possible to for example:
>
> - authenticate with let's say LDAP
> - use the admin system
> - never create any django.contrib.auth.models.User objects

Permissions and the admin history logs are directly tied to
django.contrib.auth.models.User objects right now, so you do have to
create django users to use the admin system. (The updated docs are
checked in now and talk about  this issue.) I'm hoping to decouple
them this summer, but no promises.

Joseph