Looking for some advice on how to handle my little problem, all help
gratefully appreciated.

Apologies it's quite long.

Story thus:

I need to build an application for holding a simple inventory of
components in the IT estate: servers, applications, network switches,
etc.  They all have a core set of common attributes (e.g. identifier),
while there are also attributes specific to the class of node (e.g. IP
address for hardware devices).

A classic case for subtyping; except (1) it's not yet supported, and (2)
the list of types needs to be extensible at run time.

So I have a 5 class model: component, component type, property, property
type, and value.  Components are modelled as instances of component type
(i.e. each component is instance of exactly 1 component type).  Each
Component type defines 0 or more properties; each property is of exactly
one property type.  Each component has a value for each property defined
by its component type.

(Hope that makes sense, it's a lot easier as a picture).

This all works fine, except of course adding components in the admin
interface is not intuitive at all (since their properties are shown on
separate pages).

Now the pattern I have is basically the same as the model for data
models (table has many columns, each of a type; row has value for each
column).  So in a sense I'm repeating a pattern already known to Django.

Which circuitously brings me to the questions:

  - is there a way to get the admin interface to generate a page with
fields for all the right component fields depending on its type?
  - I'd like to use the django field types as my property types - can I
query this list programmatically?

Apologies for long post, thanks for any help.

  - S.