James,

On 6/7/06, James Mulholland <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I've set up Django under Apache 2, so that users are prompted for their
> LDAP username/password when they try to visit my Django site. This
> authentication is the standard Apache http-auth dialog which has
> nothing to do with Django itself. I also created this (below) as a way
> to populate the Django user database and return a user object when the
> user fetches a page from the site (this lives in
> "intranet/httpauth/models.py"):
>
> [...]
> I'm guessing there has to be a smarter way to do
> this, and I would appreciate advice. I like that the code doesn't
> interfere (much) with the "raw" Django code, but it is an egregious
> offender against the DRY principle.

You may want to take a look at the multi-auth branch created and maintained
by  Joseph Kocherhans.

Joseph keeps it very up to date with respect to trunk by merging the changes
happening there to the branch periodically. The last merge was two days ago.

You can find more info at
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/MultipleAuthBackends
where even there is an example of a pluggable LDAP auth backend that allows
integrating Django apps with an existing user base maintained in a LDAP server.

HTH

--
 Ramiro Morales