I was at a changeset more recent than 3002.  Can't recall which
revision number it was, but it was circa June 2.  I figured that wasn't
it, played around with MySQL a bit more, uninstalled all but a specific
version of the MySQL client, reinstalled MySQL_python, turned on MySQL
logging, and was perplexed.  I was getting an insert query looking like
this:

INSERT INTO `cms_podcast`
(`slug_name`,`summary`,`podcast_file`,`date`,`published`,`show_notes_id`,`mimetype_id`)
VALUES ('podcast_slug_name','podcast summary','','2006-06-08
21:56:36',1,1,'1');

and the resulting date was all zeroes and the admin interface refused
to print it out.  The failure to print it out was the error, not the
actual insertion. I svn upped Django and installed it and got an
ninsert like this: INSERT INTO `cms_podcast`
(`slug_name`,`summary`,`podcast_file`,`date`,`published`,`show_notes_id`,`mimetype_id`)
VALUES ('podcast_slug','podcast summary','','2006-06-08
22:12:28',1,'1','1')

and all is well with the world.  I don't know if the fact that
"show_notes_id" being a string rather than an int has anything to do
with anything or not. When I run the first query at a mysql> prompt, it
works fine.

Anyway, this is working for me, oddly enough.  Thanks for directing me
to this.

- jmj