On Thu, 2006-06-15 at 09:07 -0700, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> All,
>   I have modified the original example model based on your suggestions,
> and I feel like I'm another step closer to what I'm trying to
> accomplish.  Thanks for the suggestions!  However, one issue that I
> have with the current solution is scalability.  Because there will be
> thousands of possible job locations,  when a site manager creates a Job
> based on the current solution they would be presented with thousands of
> possible cities when they select the city drop down box.  This would
> make it difficult for the site manager to associate the Job they are
> creating with a location.  How would I modify the current model example
> v0.2  to allow a more focused selection of locations in the Admin?

You're not really providing enough information that I can make concrete
suggestions here. How would the "focus" of the more restricted selection
set be determined? The standard options are...

(1) If it's something you can work out from other, previously filled in
fields on the page, then you could use the 'js' option in the Admin
class to add some custom Javascript. See [1] for some useful posts about
this possibility.

(2) If you want something more interactive and customised, such as
clicking on a map or specifying the general area prior to entering any
details, then you can write your own form for input. The admin interface
provides a reasonably generic input form that works for many cases up to
a point. But once you want custom input, particularly for slightly
unwieldy data constructs or sizes, it often pays to just knock up a
quick custom input form and do it yourself.

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/search?q=Admin+js
+option&start=0&scoring=d&

Hope this provides you with some food for thought.

Regards,
Malcolm