Hi thanks for the replies  - I'm surprised this is the only way to do
it as using the model api would seem neater.  Have you encountered many
problems separating out the geom fields like this (eg - not being
searchable in admin / whatever)?

Yes I'd be interested in an example of how custom sql is implemented
within the model code thanks.

So how are you injecting the data into the database?  Sounds like you'd
need to do it in 2 steps using this approach - 1) create the model
instance and commit, then 2) execute a method on the model from your
dataloader to manually update the geom field afterwards with custom
sql.

Thanks, Nick