I'm on another machine without my code readily available - so let me
attempt to rephrase one of the problems i'm having with generic
updates:

if there is a model with 10 fields, and an existing object which I'm
editing in a generic view, but only editing 2 of the 10 fields, it is
attempting to return null values to the model for all the fields that
are not in my form.

I've started in on a fix for this which could prove helpful in many
other situations: it will take the existing data, compare it to what is
coming in, and only update the *changed* fields while keeping the
others the same. I'll post that up as soon as I get it working.