This is not quite precise. I use two different databases on a single
installation. In fact, using the virtual hosting capability of apache
and modpython, I have one set of Django applications uses a PostgreSQL
database and an entirely different set of Django applications that use
a MySQL database. I am doing this to allow the two sets of applications
to use independent processes for backup and restore operations. (The
quickest way to backup and restore postgreSQL is to copy the whole
"data" area, but using this approach you cannot separately backup and
restore two different postgreSQL databases that share that data area.)

Fortunately I have no requirement that the two applications share data,
user authintification or anything else, but theoreticaly I could do
this by writing raw SQL code to get at the "non-settings" database in
either of the applications. (Painful, but possible.)

Perhaps more accurate would be to say that Django does not allow for
easy data access or data management of multiple databases in a single
installation.