I'm in the same boat as well, where I'll have logged in users as well
as anonymous users, and each user will only be allowed to submit each
poll once.  I haven't figured out how to handle the anonymous users yet
(I'll stay tuned to this thread), but I may be able to suggest a way to
handle it in the model.

What I did was create an additional model for submitted polls.  It has:

class SubmittedPoll(models.Model):
    poll = models.ForeignKey(Poll)
    user = models.ForeignKey(User)
    choice = models.ForeignKey(Choice)
    submit_date = models.DateTimeField()

As I said, I still have not been able to handle the anonymous user, so
I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a way to do with with
sessions/cookies.

Thanks,
Andy