Answering my own mail here...

> Second Problem (I'm not sure, but I think it may be related to the previous):
> for n in data['recipients']:
>             e.recipients.add(User.objects.get(pk=n))

This is no longer a problem. Malcolm Tredinnick answered this issue
yesterday (I have simply not been able to keep up with the mailing-list
lately).

The solution is to save the object, before you add M2M to it. The error
message was misleading, because it complained of a missing id for the
User, not for the actual model you were saving to.

So this works:

e.save()
for n in data['recipients']:
  e.recipients.add(User.objects.get(pk=n))

Still have not resolved the first issue; it's not critical for me, but
still would like to figure out what the problem is.

Thanks!