> i am currently looking at building a kinda daily posts blog thing and
> basically i need this functionality.  if the date changes, i need a
> "date" header.  if the date hasn't changed but i'm on a new blog post i
> just need a simple separator.  Now, at first i would imagine this be
> the code:
>
> {% ifchanged %}
> {%else %}
> <hr />
> {% endifchanged %}
>
> but else is not a valid block tag.  any insight from devs or other
> users.
> i am using the django.views.generic.date_based.archive_index generic
> view

Ah, we should add an {% else %} clause to the {% ifchanged %} tag --
that'd be a nice addition.

For this solution, you could use {% regroup %}. The {% regroup %} tag
is pretty complex and kind of hard to understand, but it's powerful
for times like these.

    {% regroup post_list by created as date_list %}

    (Now post_list is a list of objects grouped by distinct "created" values.
    Each one has a "grouper" and a "list" attribute.)

    {% for date in date_list %}
    {{ date.grouper|date:"Y.m.d" }}
      {% for entry in date.list %}
      {{ entry.headline }} ...whatever