I needed the same thing and adapted the code so that it changes the
text as well as the id field when you pick the related objects, it
helps the user see what actually happens. The text used is the str() of
the related object.

I posted the change to the developers list
(http://groups.google.com/group/django-developers/browse_frm/thread/a1288dc637813847)
but I haven't gotten any replies yet. I think this is a very simple
improvement to the interface.

I also experimented with Ajax, using the solution described here:
http://code.djangoproject.com/wiki/AJAXWidgetComboBox and it worked
quite well. It's easy to customize it so that it uses a like search
instead of the startswith search.

But in the end I kinda prefer the non-ajax approach.

But this is really something they should fix out of the box.