Might be that it just applies to the admin, I'll have to test that when
I get home.

The reasons I have for modifying the admin are these:

  * Many-to-many editing as it stands is not useful for my application.
For example I have a case where the object that the user should edit
can be related to many objects of a different class. There are
currently more than 3000 objects that it can relate to. In these
circumstances the select multiple and javascript enhanced version break
down. So my other option is the raw_id solution, which is not very user
friendly. I was thinking I'd provide a third variant which behaves much
like the raw id admin in that you search for the object you wish to
refer to, but which works so that you can add and delete associations
(so they appear listed), and doesn't rely on the meaningless id value.
People need to see the actual objects.

  * Next problem is the edit inline functionality. This in it's current
form won't do it for my application, but I have several cases where I
do need to edit some objects in the contex of the containing object.
These cases are quite complicated, and I'll probably have to write
quite a bit of specalized code for them. But the primary problem here
is that you can't add and delete associated objects as people usually
think of it. So I want to add some javascript code to create a new
object for inline editing, and javascript code for deleting one.

My hope though is that I can reuse most of the admin as it works quite
well for 60-70% of the app.