When someone asks me how to dive in and learn XHTML/CSS I always recommend:
< http://www.simplebits.com/publications/ >
< http://www.cssmastery.com/ >
< http://beginningwebdesign.com/ >
< http://www.idest.com/csshacks/ >

To get a hang of some of the newer DOM scripting techniques:
< http://www.domscripting.com/ >

This is set to drop next week and it looks interesting:
 <
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1590596803/ref=ord_cart_shr/102-2469797-9412920?%5Fencoding=UTF8&m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&v=glance&n=283155

You can read an excerpt of it at the Y!UI Blog <
http://yuiblog.com/blog/2006/06/27/heilmann-excerpt/ >

And, most importantly, just start coding :-)