I had a very similar problem where I needed to track all changes to
models throughout the entire application.  I've posted my solution at
http://pastebin.com/2Wc4Nwcd for you to take a look at.

Basically, as was previously suggested, I've hooked into the various
pre_*, post_* and m2m_changed signals that are available.  My code
will log all changes to models unless the model is included in a
DONT_LOG_MODELS tuple in the app settings.  Changes to m2m
relationships are stored against the model containing the m2m.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Tony