url() must be given a url, not a file path.  You need to put the image
somewhere that is being served by apache, or by the development
server (usually a subdirectory of 'media/' or similar) and then use
the corresponding url.  For example, when running the devolopment
server in /home/me/djprojects/proj1 where I have my MEDIA_ROOT
set to '/home/me/djprojects/proj1/site_media/' and my MEDIA_URL
set to '/site_media/', and the image has be moved or copied to be
/home/me/djprojects/proj1/site_media/images/foo.jpg then the right
thing to put in the css is url(/site_media/images/foo.jpg) - note that
no quotes are used either.