On Apr 29, 12:47 pm, Martin Tiršel <dja...@blackpage.eu> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am still a newbie exploring possibilities of Django but you learn
> advanced techniques often on really big applications. I have here my two
> projects I want to do in Django (1. advanced eshop system and 2.
> webhosting management [customer database, invoicing, webhosting settings,
> trouble tickets, ...]). Django Admin can be very customized but I don't
> know if it can handle such projects. I am asking this because I don't know
> if I have first to go deep into Django Admin and spend some weeks
> exploring and testing all of the functionality first or I should begin
> with building the application from scratch the old classic way.
>
> Here are some examples I will need to do:
>
> * combine Admin pages (CRUD) with normal pages (e.g. listing of sales
> summaries or another overviews [with linking to details page for example],
> displaying an amount of mixed informations [combined from multiple
> models], ...)
>
> * dynamic edit forms - e.g. customer has a product which consist from
> multiple parts which can be combined. So, one customer has fieldsets A, B,
> C another A, C, D . Every fieldset has some editable and some static
> fields (read only).
>
> * advanced permissions - some employees have editing access only to some
> fields in a fieldset and these not editable without permissions are
> displayed only as text instead of a textfield
>
> I don't think that such things will be possible, but as I found yesterday,
> Django Admin has wider possibilities than I expected :)

Indeed it has.  The "standard" reply is "don't use the Admin."  My
view is "use the Admin to learn Django."  E.g. you say "combine Admin
pages (CRUD) with normal pages" - I am not sure exactly what you mean
by "combine" but its very easy to add many other kinds of views to a
Django site, happily running alongside the CUD pages [sorry, no "R"
without some effort :( - I'll blog on this shortly], such as ones
"displaying an amount of mixed information".

Re "* dynamic edit forms" => there had just been a thread on that
http://groups.google.com/group/django-users/browse_thread/thread/48f243a020b244e9
.  [Sidebar - wait for version 1.2 for read-only field].

Re "* advanced permissions - some employees have editing access only
to some fields" => I have not done this, but would think you can do
this as part of the "dynamic edit forms" (certainly permissions can be
fine-grained at a row level - many topics discussing this).

In short - push the limits on the Admin - it can do far more than I
thought after a read through of the Django book and similar documents
(you must read these first, of course!).

My 2c
Derek (recent Django convert)