On 7/13/06, Carlos Yoder <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> > http://packages.debian.org/unstable/python/python-imaging
> > ?
>
> Don't think so. I don't have root access to my box in Bluehost. Can
> anythone think of an alternative, short of telling support to install
> it themselves?

I may be wrong here, but I think deb packages can be installed
anywhere.  The important thing is that Python be able to find and use
it.

I think you can download the .deb, then do something like this:

dpkg -i -instdir=/some/path/under/your/home your.deb

from the man page:
--root=dir | --admindir=dir | --instdir=dir
    Change default directories. admindir defaults to /var/lib/dpkg and
contains many files that give information about status of installed or
uninstalled packages, etc. instdir defaults to / and refers to the
directory where packages are to be installed. instdir is also the
directory passed to chroot(2) before running package's installation
scripts, which means that the scripts see instdir as a root directory.
Changing root changes instdir to dir and admindir to dir/var/lib/dpkg.

Since you'll be installing to a non-standard location of PIL, you'll
need to make sure it's on the path (and on Python's path, which I
think you can do with SetEnv in your apache conf), and then (I think)
you should be set.