On Fri, May 7, 2010 at 7:06 PM, thierry <thierry.bri...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Have django developers planned the integration of new model fields
> capable to store multidimensional data ?

It's possible right now. As an example, GeoDjango contains fields for
composite, multidimensional data (spatial points and polygons, for
example) [1]. It's also possible to define your own custom fields to
represent any data type that your database can represent, including
transforming the data type returned by the database backend into a
native Python datatype [2].

[1] http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/contrib/gis/model-api/
[2] http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/howto/custom-model-fields/

> By implementing this kind of basic types, I think it could be a way
> for the Django project to reach the scientific community where Python
> and databases are more and more popular to store experimental and
> analyses data.

What sort of "basic" types did you have in mind? Django implements the
field types that are reliably available across across all database
backends.

If there's a specific field type that you think is missing, and is
available in a consistent way across multiple database backends, feel
free to suggest it -- or better yet, try your hand at an
implementation.

Yours,
Russ Magee %-)