Yeah, this is built in to django.

You are on the right track with user.contrib.auth. If you are doing
this all from the admin then it's as simple as creating a few groups,
giving them the permisions you want and then assigning users to those
groups.

If you are doing it on a front facing site, then there are many
template tags and view for checking permissions.

I hate to just point you at the documentation but it's pretty thorough
in this topic and without specific examples it would be difficult to
work through any examples.

http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/1.1/topics/auth/