I found the solution to my own problem.  When the page was reloading,
I am guessing that the actual entity had not been deleted yet, and the
method __unicode__(self) was being called, requesting access of
self.image (which did not exist, because that HAD been deleted).

A simple modification to the method seems to have fixed the problem:

def __unicode__(self):
        if (self.image):
            return self.image.path
        else:
            return 'No image exists... I should be deleted any moment!'