I have an expanded user form right now. Here is the sign up process.

user registers using username, email, password

It sends and activation link to that email.

User clicks on the link and they are activated

User logs in

Here is where I would like the extended profile to pop up the first
time. When they pass through the login screen to their home page (each
user has a home page with a selection of different actions).

I can kind of see where you are going with what you have, I'm adding a
field to check to make sure the forms are finished?

I'm not too worried about users not filling out the profile, this is a
site built for submitted obituaries and the users will be funeral
homes so filling out the form is a necessary part of their job. I just
want to know how to make it really obvious to them the first time they
login.