(cross-posted to StackOverflow)

I am trying to write a set of template tags that allow you to easily
specify js and css files from within the template files themselves.
Something along the lines of {% requires global.css %}, and later in
the request, {% get_required_css %}.

I have this mostly working, but there are a couple of issues. We'll
start with the 'timing' issues.

Each template tag is made up of two steps, call/init and render. Every
call/init of every tag used in the request (excluding tags used within
templates loaded via inclusion tags... but that's another story)
happens before any render procedure is called.  Hence, in order to
guarantee that all of the files are queued before the {%
get_required_css %} is rendered, I need to build my list of required
files in the call/init procedures themselves.

So, I need to collect all of the files into one bundle per request.
The context dict is obviously the place for this, but unfortunately,
the call/init doesn't have access to the context variable.

Is this making sense? Anyone see a way around this (without resorting
to a hack-y global request object)?

Another possibility to store these in a local dict but they would
still need to be tied to the request somehow... possibly some sort of
{% start_requires %} tag? But I have no clue how to make that work
either.