Hi guys, first of all: Thanks! Django-users has been a great resource
for me so far; I've come across many solutions for my own problems
here.

I'm not even really sure if this question is totally appropriate for
this page, but here goes:

I'm a new developer working on a small social networking website which
has grown pretty tremendously since I've started my job (about 8-9
months ago).  I've had no training except for what I've learnt on the
job, some of which has been from another fairly new developer.  So far
I've been able to see examples on the internet of how to do things and
follow them without too much trouble, but I've found that the
development environment now is very insufficient and totally
backwards, and I have no idea what to do or how to fix it.

At the moment, every time we get a new organisation to sign up and
start using our software, we create a new apache, django, python, and
software installation, which simply duplicates the software in each
app.

All of our app software is in subversion control except for a few
files (base.html, team.html and localsettings.py are the main ones)
that change between each site, as they are 'skinned' differently 'ie
have different colours, header images, slightly different content etc'

I'm trying (and struggling) to somehow put all of these files under
version control and still have the ability to maintain each site
individually, as well as add new (python-based and template-based)
functions, features and bugfixes across the whole software.

At the moment the environment is like this:
In ~/webapps/ there's a directory for each organisation/site, and each
of those directories contains /apache2/, /bin/, /lib/, and /vanilla/
(our software).

For each organisation, they simply go to http://(their
name).vteam.com.au and see the site in their skin.

Currently when I have to roll out a change or bugfix I edit my
development site, test it, make sure it works, and then I run a script
which simply runs "svn update" on all the other apps (and an apache
restart if it's a python change)

This doesn't seem to be very sustainable or efficient...
a) It's not the standard.  I've looked around at subversion repository
tutorials but can't seem to wrap my head around applying that to our
software.
b) Sometimes we need to change something on one site, but can't as the
file is under version control and may cause a clash when I try to
update it for a different fix later.
c) If I'm working on a large job on a certain file on my development
site, I can't commit that file to roll out a quick bug fix.

I'm wondering if anybody has had or seen a similar situation.  Help or
advice would be appreciated muchly!

Thanks,
Ethan