Hi there,

I need to use a task queue for Django, and Celery seems ideal,
unfortunately I can't install RabbitMQ on my server, so I need to use
an alternate backend (I have Redis and MySQL available).
Unfortunately, I can't get either to work :\

I'm using Celery 1.0.5 with Django 1.2.1, I've added celery to my
INSTALLED_APPS and I've synched the database to create the
celery_taskmeta and celery_tasksetmeta tables.

I'm now following the instructions here:
http://celeryproject.org/docs/tutorials/otherqueues.html
for setting up  MySQL as the backend. In my settings.py I have:

DATABASE_ENGINE = 'mysql'
DATABASE_NAME = 'django'
DATABASE_USER = 'django'
DATABASE_PASSWORD = 'django'
DATABASE_HOST = ''
DATABASE_PORT = ''

CARROT_BACKEND = "ghettoq.taproot.Database"
CELERY_RESULT_BACKEND = "database"
CELERY_RESULT_DBURI = "mysql://django:dja...@localhost/django"
CELERY_DEFAULT_EXCHANGE = "tasks"
CELERYD_LOG_LEVEL = "DEBUG"

INSTALLED_APPS = (
    'celery',
    'ghettoq',
)

I now have a task defined which I can run as follows:

$ python manage.py shell
>> from mysite.myapp.models import TaskTest
>> result = TaskTest.add.delay(5,6)
>> result.ready()
False

But when I run celeryd, the task is never run:

$ python manage.py celeryd
Configuration ->
    . broker -> ghettoq.taproot.Database://n...@none/
    . queues ->
        . celery -> exchange:tasks (direct) binding:celery
    . concurrency -> 2
    . loader -> celery.loaders.djangoapp.Loader
    . logfile -> [stde...@debug
    . events -> OFF
    . beat -> OFF
    . tasks -> ...

It's strange, as I can see a row is created for the task in
celery_taskmeta, but the status is always PENDING.

I've also tried swapping MySQL out for Redis, but no joy with that
either.

Clearly I'm missing something here, can anyone give me some pointers?

Many thanks in advance,

Steve

Also posted to Celery group here:
http://groups.google.com/group/celery-users/browse_thread/thread/59ace62b59dba4de