I have a Django blog app with data in the (SQLite) database and have
installed South so that I can add a 'modified' date field to the
'Entry' model. The field will initially be blank so I need blank=True
for Django's admin validation.

However, since it will also be empty in the database, do I need
null=True as well (since it is a date field and not a string-based
field)?

If it were a string-based field, would I need to populate it with an
empty string instead of null?

I've read James Bennet's post and the Django docs (links below), but
can't fathom the correct approach for this case:

http://www.b-list.org/weblog/2006/jun/28/django-tips-difference-between-blank-and-null/

  http://docs.djangoproject.com/en/dev/ref/models/fields/