On 28 juin, 19:27, thusjanthan <thusjant...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Yes you are correct I am looking to implement the compounded primary
> keys.

It's a fact that Django's ORM doesn't support compound primary keys so
far. It's a bit of a shortcoming, but the good news is that it's a
FOSS project so YOU can contribute !-)

OTHO - and while I tend to dislike them - having surrogate keys all of
the same type sometimes help with genericity and reusability. Things
like the ContentType framework just couldn't work without.

> Well the problem is I would like to have a many to many(m2m)
> with two models that share a compounded primary key. However when I do
> the m2m join it randomly pics one of the compounded keys and tries to
> join them? :|

> Does the unique_together parameter fix that problem?
> as
> in does it use the unique_together to do the joins?

unique_together creates compound indexes with a unicity contraint.
That's all. IOW, it won't be used to "do the joins". Now nothing
prevents you to do the join by yourself, but since you'll still need a
surrogate primary key chances are this will just be a waste of time.